Thursday, May 18, 2006

Week 13 Progress Report

It has been a while since my last post. My work has overwhelmed my life lately and I has negatively impacted my training. Last week was supposed to be a heavy week, while this week is a recovery week. Unfortunately I didn't get the volume that I wanted last week and this week I have barely been able to train at all. Today, the court is dark so I can take a breather and catch up with the rest of my life. That means signing up for triathlons!

As you can see from the side bar, I have changed the triathlons that I am training for. I have taken the official plunge and signed up for three. Now that is one thing less to worry about. There is one problem. I did not realize that the Carpinteria race is only one week after the Nautica Malibu Triathlon. The Malibu course is only a sprint, but it is a longer sprint and I am just a beginner. I'm not sure I can recover from the race in just a week. But there are no refunds so I just have to go for it. Hopefully by September my conditioning will be sufficient to do it.

For the record, here is what I was able to accomplish in week 13!

Monday: Swam 45 minutes in the AM (1500 meters). Tried to run intervals in the evening, but I had problems which cut it short at 15 minutes, 1.4 miles.

Tuesday: Brick of spin class for 45 minutes followed by a run for 25 minutes (1.9 miles).

Wednesday: Brick of swimming for 37 minutes (1500 meters) followed by a run for 55 minutes (4 miles).

Thursday: Brick of spin class for 45 minutes followed by a run for 30 minutes (2.4 miles).

Friday: Rest day

Saturday: Run at the park for 1 hour (4.5 miles).

Sunday: Long bike ride. I rode from my home to the San Gabriel River Trail. Then I rode down to Pico Riviera and took the route connecting to the Rio Hondo Trail. I then took the Rio Hondo trail back to Arcadia and then back home. I must have seen at least a hundred rabbits out there. There were also clouds of gnats which are not fun to ride through.

Total miles 34.5
Total time: 2 hours, 32 minutes
Average cadence: 64
Ascent: 541 feet

I really was limping back from the bike trip. I probably was a bit over enthusiastic on the first part of the trip and I just did not have the energy in the second have of the route on the way back (up hill). I tried to spend more time in the aero bars, which helped me stay at around 20 mph on the first half of the route. However, I just cannot stay in aero position for very long. The steering is just too unstable. Also, the design of the Aero bars puts my weight in front of the handlebars. I have the bars as tightened as they will go, but even still the Aero bars tend to slide down. I almost totally lost control and ended up in a ditch because the aerobars gave way under my weight. I need to upgrade. I guess this is my next project.

Post Navigator
First | Previous | Next | Home
More Progress Reports
First | Previous | Next | Home

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home