Monday, May 08, 2006

Week 12 Progress Report

I was a slacker this week. I gave it a lot of effort, but just could not fit in the training that I wanted with the way work has been going. I was forced to choose between seeing my wife and daughter and training, and for the most part I picked the family. I say "for the most part" because I did take a long bike ride on Sunday, which meant that I did not see them much at all on Sunday because I had to go into the office for the rest of the day. My wife was pretty upset about that. In my mind, I have not been able to do even the minimum I set out for myself so I had to do the ride. I know it is hard for my family when I have to work so much, but it is just temporary, and I cannot let it derail all my progress. I have to keep going. Here is a summary of my pathetic week:

Monday: Rest day. Boy was that a mistake!

Tuesday: Swim my now classic 2000 meters. Missed my spin class.

Wednesday: Run 30 minutes. Ugh!

Thursday: Spin class for 60 minutes followed by a fifteen minute run. I tried to make up for the short run the day before with a little brick, but I could only afford 15 minutes, which is really nothing.

Friday: Nothing. Ugh! I felt like such a slacker.

Saturday: I ran 5 miles at a nearby park. I felt good and somewhat redeemed. The park has a rubberized running trail which is crowded with walkers, but it felt good on the legs and felt fast. I think I averaged 5 mph, which is very fast for me, and it was not even on a treadmill. Yeah!

Sunday: I decided to drive over to the Santa Fe Dam to ride the San Gabriel trial. I could ride there from my house, but that would be half the ride, and I wanted to see more of the upper San Gabriel so I rode out to Encanto Park in Duarte and started from there. At first I went north along the river, but I quickly came to a dead end in the bike trail. I saw some people heading up highway 39 into the Angeles National Forest, so maybe I'll try that sometime. I definitely could use the practice on the hills.

This time I went back done the San Gabriel River trail to El Monte and then back up to Duarte. It is about 30 miles round trip and took almost exactly 2 hours. There was water in the river for most of the way, and plenty of flowers in bloom. On the downside, there is an equestrian trail that parallels the bike path, and unfortunately some of the riders prefer to use the bike trail. I'm more than willing to share, but they do not clean up after their horses. The smell of horse dung is quite strong along most of the way.

On the way back up, you have to head up a steep hill to the top of the dam. It is not very long, but it is steep. I have never been able to ride the whole way up before, but I promised myself I would do it, and I did. My heart rate went up to 173. That is 98% of my max. I felt like I was going to die. At the top I had a long shallow downhill to cruise and recover. Overall, I would say it was a great ride.

On the weight front, I have good news to report. I am currently at 245 pounds (down from 264 pounds) and am have 32 percent body fat (down from 39%). I still have long way to go, but now I feel safely under 250. It seemed that after passing 250 the pounds just flew off.

This week is supposed to be an intense week. I am supposed to have been building for the past three weeks to this one. I am going to try my best to fit in as much as I can, but I still have all the scheduling problems of the past week. There is no way I was going to let myself have a rest day after what happened last Friday. Here is my schedule:

Monday: Swim 45 minutes; Run 45 minutes
Tuesday: Spin 60 minutes; Run 30 minutes
Wednesday: Swim 45 minutes; Spin 30 minutes
Thursday: Spin 60 minutes; Run 30 minutes
Friday: Swim 45 minutes; Run 30 minutes
Saturday: Bike 2.5 hours
Sunday: Swim 45 minutes; Run 45 minutes

Wow! I am scared just writing this. Let's see what happens.

Post Navigator
First | Previous | Next | Home
More Progress Reports
First | Previous | Next | Home

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home