Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Inspiration from Samuel Johnson

"If your determination is fixed, I do not counsel you to despair. Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." --Samuel Johnson

I had a tough run this morning. I had a killer spin class last night, where I pushed and pushed. It seemed like I was out of the saddle and doing sprints almost the whole hour. I burned a whopping 900 calories according to my heart rate monitor and was between 85% and 95% of my max heart rate for at least 30 minutes. The problem was that I wanted to rush home, so I could get home before my daughter goes to bed and read her a story, so I did not eat anything.

When I woke this morning, I was really sore. I headed out for a run, but I had very little energy. My glycogen stores were just shot from the day before and I did not even have breakfast. I was supposed to do interval, and I definitely tried, but I was really slow. I think the fastest I could go was only 7 mph, and I could only sustain that speed for about a minute. I did stick it out and just tried to go for as long as I could even if it was going to be slow. I actually lasted for an hour and went 4.5 miles, which is longer than I expected. I think the only reason I lasted that long is because I was a few miles out from home and still had to come back.

Post Navigator
First | Previous | Next | Home
More Inspiration
First | Previous | Next | Home

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm. If that's the case, maybe the key is to get dropped off at ever increasing distances from your home like a cast-off cat, since your drive to return is pushing beyond your expectations out of necessity...

11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just don't let myself turn around until a least 35 minutes have past. I always seem to bike and run faster on the way home, even if it is uphill. Go figure.

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home