Tuesday, May 23, 2006

LA Tri Club

I have decided that I need to meet more triathletes, so I joined the Los Angeles Tri Club. I can really use some training advice, and I guess I feel I have trained enough to not be embarrassed to call myself a triathlete. I'm hoping to get out to some of their events soon, particularly an open water swim. That is definitely something that I would not want to try out on my own.

Speaking of swimming, today I had my first swim since last Monday. I had to share a lane with two strong swimmers. I was really working to try to keep up and this was probably exactly what I needed. Since it was my first workout in a while I kept it to forty-five minutes, but I was able to fit in 1800 meters. I am still pathetically slow, but making improvement.

After 15 minutes I noticed that there were a few guys there that seemed to be trying to race me. I had to restrain myself, because my workout will not last very long if I start sprinting. Sure, plenty of people in the pool are faster than me, but I can put in the time. After fifteen to twenty minutes these guys are getting out of the pool when I have already put in thirty minutes and will put in another fifteen. And that is a "short" workout for me.

I have been looking around for other swim venues to augment my training. SCAQ offers swim technique lessons and offers training sessions at some fifty meter pools, so I think I might take them up on their offer of a free training session.

Post Navigator
First | Previous | Next | Home

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I found your blog through JP's journey, and I noticed you said you love your S625x. I have an F6 but am thinking of upgrading to the S625x. Why do you love it so much? What makes it worth the big bucks?

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The S625x is great if you like look at lots of charts and numbers and track how your progress is going. If you are not interested in those features it is definately not worth the money.

I particularly like the foot pod, because it will acurately measure running speed not only on trails or on a track, but on a treadmill as well. I have found that treadmill speed indicators are not very accurate, so if you use a treadmill as part of your workout this is a great feature.

Another great feature is that it will work with sensors on your bike as well so you don't need a seperate bike computer. The sensors can be a bit fickle, but I was able to get them to work after a bit of effort.

I have a few charts from the S625x on my site if you want to see what they look like, and Bolder in Boulder (see sidebar) always seems to post charts from his.

Hope this helps.

10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home