Tuesday, March 21, 2006

What's Up Doc?

I went to see my doctor this morning about the chest pressure I felt yesterday on the treadmill. The good news is that I do not have a temperature, my blood pressure is good and my chest is clear. I also had an EKG and it was normal. The doctor ordered a stress test EKG, which I will have tomorrow. He did not seem too concerned, but said I should stay of off treadmills until we get the results of the stress test.

While this whole episode is cause for some concern, I have this feeling that it is going to all turn up nothing. On the positive side it really is a good idea to get fully checked out before undertaking any strenuous exercise program, and a stress test is a good idea. This situation is making me take the measures that if I were to do things by the book, I would have done already. I know that sometimes a stress test can be used to determine a maximum heart rate, and I hope I can do that tomorrow. This would be helpful in furthering my heart rate training, but technicians who deal with heart patients are usually more conservative and may be hesitant to allow me to do that.

I did some research on the net yesterday, looking for possibilities that would give me the symptoms that I have. The first is just being heart tired from over-training. Unlikely but possible. This would be the best possibility, because it is easily cured with a bit of rest and recovery. The second possibility is an infection in my heart tissue. This usually happens about two weeks after certain types of viral infections. As regular readers of my blog would know, I was sick a couple of weeks ago, so this is also a possibility. If this is the case, then the good news is that it is treatable with medication, and normally one makes a full recovery. There is the possibility of permanent heart damage, but this is unlikely. The third possibility, is that I am suffering from stable angina, which is a condition related to disease of the arteries. It is simply a condition where one suffers from pressure and sometimes pain while under exertion. Unfortunately this condition is not really treatable, although it may be managed by controlling blood pressure and losing weight. Hello! That's what I'm trying to do! Anyways, I shouldn't get ahead of myself here. I'll let the doctor figure this all out.

Post Navigator
First | Previous | Next

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home