Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Weak in the Heat

I am just coming off a week in which I did no training or exercise whatsoever, so I was expecting to have lost some of my fitness, but I have been really disappointed in last two days. I had a 40 minute swim yesterday. I lost track of the number of laps, but I'm sure it was less than I normally do. I felt my legs just sinking and sinking. The other two swimmers in my lane were wearing zoomers and I had to work extra hard to keep up with them, so that might also have something to do with why I only lasted 40 minutes, but I didn't feel fast, and I was breathing really hard. I keep telling myself I need to get some serious help with my swimming technique, but I have yet to take any action. I am always too busy, so then I just force myself to do these grueling swim workouts even though I am not getting any better. At least my arms and shoulders are getting stronger. I can tell just by looking in the mirror.

I went running this morning. It was still early, around 8:45, but it was still hot. Hotter than I expected, at least. I have always done my runs in doors on a treadmill, or in the mornings and evenings when it was cool out. I ran at a good speed (for me) of 5.2mph but I was only able to go for 3.64 miles. I was just dying. I should have slowed it down to allow myself to last longer, but I guess I didn't factor in the heat.

So I'm a little disappointed, but It feels good to start training again. I am visiting family for the holiday weekend, and I hope I can still get some training done.

1 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

Did you eventually splurge for the swim lessons?? You are doing an amazing job; most people don't even make it out the front door! And as an added bonus, it sounds like you are enjoying the training. That's the important part. If it wasn't fun, we wouldn't do it!

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home