Monday, February 27, 2006

Ugh! Sick Again

I was really looking forward to adding in swimming this week, but it looks like I'm going to have to put it off for at least a few days. I started coming down with a cold last night. This really pisses me off because I have been eating right, taking lots of zinc and exercising, and I still got sick. It seems that in the past year I have been getting sick quite often. It sucks! I think I'm getting them from my little 2 year old daughter. She plays with her friends and then brings the latest diseases home to me. It doesn't help that she always insists on drinking from my glass and eating off of my plate. And of course, she is such a darling no one could keep me away from her. However, I also think that I seem to be particularly vulnerable, because my wife and mother-in-law rarely seem to take ill, and they are around my daughter all the time. I think they have iron clad immune systems.

So what to do? This is precisely the type of setback that I anticipated, but the question is how to minimize its effect on my training. One strategy woulde be to train through it, but I may be sick for longer than if I rested. The other strategy would be to take a break from training and hope the cold goes away fast. I guess I need some advice on this one.

Post Navigator
First | Previous | Next

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better soon! My advice would be to listen to your body. If you feel very weak, just rest! If you do exercise, just make it a really light work out so that you don't lose too much momentum but also don't compete for the energy your body needs to get over the cold.

-Dan

11:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Dan. I appears that you are the only one who reads this thing! I'm starting to feel better.

7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only one who reads it? I doub it. I'm probably just the only one who comments. Go Paul!

7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paul,

I guess my advice would be influenced by your symptoms, but elevating your body temperature with a long jog could help your body fight this if its a simple cold. Then again, your body might need an extra day off, as it is adapting to a new routine.

My kids bring home some viruses too. I'd have to say that I've been sick far less frequently than when I worked in hospitals. SO much for acquired immunity...

I have to say that I admire your commitment. Lately my commute, the rain and the unusual snow have kept my from riding like I should.
You've inspired me to go tonight and tow one of my kids for good measure.

Keep up your good work.

-Bill

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home