Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Looking Forward to My First Race

My first race is this Sunday. I am not nervous about it at all, at least not finishing. I'll probably do something stupid like run out of T2 with my bike helmet on, but I can deal with that. My goal is just to finish, and I am already expecting to be last place. The race is really short and thus really fast. I have worked hard for the last six months on endurance, and while my speed has increased, I am still really slow. That's ok. This race is just about finishing and enjoying the experience. I have two more triathlons next month and those are the ones that will be more difficult, and the ones that I have essentially been tailoring my training towards.

I haven't done much of any training for the last week. It seems that things just come up and cause me to miss training for long stretches of time. This time, it was the wedding of a good friend of mine. I was the best man, so between preparing for the event and my work I just didn't have time to focus to train. And even now that I am back I haven't get back into training because I am still recovering from the trip. I'll probably get out and do an ocean swim tomorrow. It's something I really need to do, because I need to break in my new wetsuit if I am going to using it in the race this weekend. It is an Xterra Vortex wetsuit. I tried it out once, and it felt pretty good, but it still is pretty tight around the shoulders. Some fellow triclubbers gave me some tips for putting on so that it is more flexible around the shoulders, and I am looking forward to trying them out.

3 Comments:

Blogger S. Baboo said...

I've actually seen someone do the run in their helmet!

Though you probably have recieved a ton of advice and have researched the subject of triathlon to death I always like to give one piece of advice, mainly because it has "literary" ties...be sure to bring a towel (The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy)

Have a great time! I look forward to the race report.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Paul,
I just got a donation for my MS-150 ride and I have a hunch it was you. Thank you SO much for your help! I really appreciate your support. Good luck in your first race!
-Jessi

2:01 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

We are anxiously awaiting your race report! :-D

Did you have a good time??

All the best!
-Steph

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home