Friday, July 21, 2006

Inspiration from Thomas Jefferson

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.
--Thomas Jefferson


It has been a while since I have posted some inspiration so I thought a quote was due. Yesterday was an unplanned rest day. For some reason, when it comes to getting up early to go for a bike ride I have a hard time. Perhaps it's because I have been trying to go for longer rides, and it just becomes too daunting. Perhaps I should just scale back my expectations and then let myself go longer on the days that I feel good.

Up to this point in my training I have been doing spin classes during the week just because it is hard to schedule a 2-3 hour ride on my bike and still get to the office at a "reasonable" hour. But lately I have felt that the spin classes just aren't cutting it, and that I need more hours on my actual bike. To do this I just have to get up really early and just accept that I will be late for work. It's ok. I can be late for work once a week, right?

Today, I went to the Culver City Plunge again to work on my swimming. I have been told that my positioning in the water is ok, and I am rolling ok, but I need to work on my front quadrant swimming and on my hand positions. So that is what I did. I did a bunch of catch-up drills, some fist swimming, and focused my attention generally on my stroke. I am getting more comfortable with the timing clock and even did some intervals. Right now I am doing 100 meters in 2 minutes and 40 seconds. I hear that the cut off between a beginner and a good swimmer is around 2 minutes, so that is what I am working toward. Forty seconds is alot to shave off.

Total distance: 2000 meters

Tomorrow, I hope to get a 7.5 mile run in, and on Sunday, it is back on the bike.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger S. Baboo said...

Speaking for myself, I find it easier to get in big miles on the bike by ridding to work. If that is even a remote possability for you then give it a shot. I keep a couple pairs of shoes, slacks, a jacket and couple ties at work abd just carry in a fresh shirt, undershirt and my lunch on a daily basis. This gets me at least 150 miles per week and during the summer months I can crunch in 200 to 250 miles per week.

Identified a first race yet? Good luch in your training.

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home