Saturday, February 17, 2007

My Biggest Challenge

The biggest triathlon challenge for me is training consistantly, and while there have been times where my training has lapsed from lagging motivation or work/family obligations these obsticles have usually only caused me to miss one or two days of training. Anyone who is familiar with my blog knows that my greatest barrier to consistent training has been frequent illness. Each time I come down with something it usually puts me out for at least a week.

Last week I thought I really had my act together and I put in a good solid week of training. I was on top of everthing, with my diet, taking my vitamins, getting rest and keeping my training moderate and within a well thought out plan . . . and yet I am sick again. It started out as a head cold and I trained through for two days. Then it moved down into my chest and have this horrid hacking cough. I'm finished for at least a few days, and frankly I'm pissed.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man I hear ya. I frequently travel and I just know if I get on a plane, I'm done. All that coughing, sneezing, and touching things that people all over the planet touch... blech.

Last year, I was sick and didn't even know it. I had a cold and thought it was overtraining symptoms (my body was too dumb to know it was sick).

This year, I got that intestonal flu and had these mild colds that I've fought off but it completely ruins any chances of "kicking off" my season so to speak. Then yes, adding in family, work, friends... how on Earth do we do this as mere mortals? :-)

1:53 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

Hey there, are you back on your feet yet? Hopefully you're feeling better after taking some more time off.

I think it's great that your goal is consistency. Being ill can actually help you, in the form of learning patience. Learning how to rest properly and listening to your body are important lessons in triathlon. Not to mention having the patience to save energy and strength for when you'll need it toward the end of the race.

You'll be up and at 'em in no time. Get well soon!
-Steph

5:49 AM  
Blogger The Big Cheese said...

I had it for about a week. I sucks.

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home